In this episode I interview Rich Powell, the Executive Director of ClearPath.
Rich is the Executive Director at ClearPath and ClearPath Action, the DC-based organizations developing and advancing conservative policies that accelerate clean energy innovation.
He educates policymakers on investing wisely in energy innovation, removing roadblocks to building and exporting American clean energy technology, and maintaining and promoting our baseload clean energy resources. Rich also leads ClearPath’s external advocacy and research partnerships with non profits, academia, and the private sector.
Previously, Rich was with McKinsey & Company in the Energy and Sustainability practices. He focused on corporate clean energy strategy, government low carbon growth strategy, and clean tech market entry.
ClearPath partners with in-house and external experts on nuclear, carbon capture, hydropower, natural gas, energy storage and energy innovation to advance their mission.
In this episode, Rich and I discuss:
- Rich’s previous experience working at McKinsey and how that led to him meeting Jay Faison, the founder of ClearPath, and ultimately joining the company.
- How ClearPath prioritizes their efforts by evaluating impact vs likelihood of a particular policy passing.
- How ClearPath uses the conservative values of cost benefit analysis and performance technology in developing policy proposals.
- ClearPath’s non-dogmatic view on what it will take to solve the energy issues of climate change.
- How ClearPath hopes to achieve it’s long term goal of zero emissions by 2050.
I hope you enjoy the show!
You can find me on twitter @jjacobs22 and email at email@example.com, where I encourage you to share your feedback on episodes and provide suggestions for future guests or topics you'd like to see covered on the show.
Links for topics discussed in this episode:
- Rich Powell’s LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/richpowell
- Rich Powell’s Twitter: https://twitter.com/powellrich
- ClearPath: http://clearpath.org/
- Jay Faison: https://clearpath.org/about-us/jay-faison/
- SnapAV: https://www.snapav.com
- McKinsey: https://www.mckinsey.com/
- NetPower: https://www.netpower.com
- Oxy: https://www.oxy.com
- 45Q: https://clearpath.org/jay-and-richs-take/why-45q-matters-and-why-its-not-enough/