Marshall is the co-founder and Managing Director at Upstream Tech, a public benefit corporation that partners with nonprofit and for-profit organizations working towards ecological restoration, supply chain sustainability, and energy efficiency improvements goals, among others. Upstream Tech’s goal is to help translate data into better, faster resource use decisions. They use satellite data, sophisticated data processing, and easy-to-use applications to supercharge their customer’s conservation impact.
Marshall oversees the product development, growth and partnerships at Upstream Tech. Prior to co-founding Upstream Tech, he worked in a number of early- and late-stage technical companies that have collectively raised over $100M USD in venture capital. He was awarded Forbes 30 Under 30 in Energy and has served on panels for the United Nations Economic and Social Council. Marshall holds a BA in Computer Science from Tufts University.
In today’s episode we discuss:
- Upstream Tech overview and history
- Marshall’s background prior to Upstream Tech, including what led him to care about climate, how he went about making the transition, and what led him to this opportunity specifically
- Some projects they have worked on
- Upstream Tech’s acquisition by Natel Energy and what the combined entity can do together
- What are some other levers in the climate fight beyond Upstream Tech
- Marshall’s advice for anyone looking to make a similar transition
Links to topics discussed in today’s episode:
- Marshall twitter: https://twitter.com/marsh?lang=en
- Marshall Linkedin: https://www.linkedin.com/in/marshallmoutenot/
- Upstream Tech: https://upstream.tech/
- Natel Energy: https://www.natelenergy.com/
I hope you enjoy the show!
You can find me on twitter @jjacobs22 or @mcjpod and email at firstname.lastname@example.org, where I encourage you to share your feedback on episodes and suggestions for future topics or guests.